The YWCA Central Maine has a proud history beginning in 1878 when it began as the Women’s Benevolent Association. In its early years, it was housed in buildings located at the corner of Bates and Pine Streets in Lewiston and on Main Street in Auburn. The YWCA served as a place for international travelers coming to the Lewiston-Auburn area to stay, as well as housing for women relocating to the ‘big city’ to work as hair dressers, nurses, etc. It served as a place for women to receive support services, particularly during the war years.
Though the organization has changed locations throughout its long history, its present building at 130 East Avenue has remained its central location since 1971, with expansions and renovations allowing for greater recreational and health services.